Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Baptism, My Purpose.

  My Purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the Restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ, and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy ghost and enduring to the end. 
   I feel like I need to do more to fulfill that purpose online.  So as I read from the scriptures this morning I decided to try to find something to write about and I found my topic; Baptism.  Baptism is essential to our salvation. In John 3:5 in the New Testament is says, "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."  Being born of the water means to be baptized, and of the spirit means to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  This Scripture I quoted has a story behind it.  Christ is talking to a Pharisee and ruler of the Jews named Nicodemus.  Now Nicodemus comes to Christ in the night and says, " Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him."  Then Jesus says what I quoted earlier.  So he tells Nicodemus that he needs to be Born of Water and of the Spirit or he wont be able to live with God.  And Nicodemus asks a classic question, "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?"  He thinks logically and says, "how in the world can I be born again, I can't enter my mothers womb again!"  To which Jesus responds, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.  That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.  The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."
The answer of course is Baptism.  Christ set the PERFECT example.  It is always amazing to me people who believe that baptism is not necessary.  Of course it is necessary, Jesus Christ was perfect, and he was baptized...hmm sounds like we should be baptized, as imperfect as we are.  In the Book of Mormon it says, "And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!"  Christ was baptized.  "And again, it showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he having set the example before them.  And he said unto the children of men: Follow thou me. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, can we follow Jesus save we shall be willing to keep the commandments of the Father?  And the Father said: Repent ye, repent ye, and be baptized in the name of my Beloved Son."
Follow the perfect example, Jesus Christ.  Find the path for you and be baptized.  Baptism is the gate by which ye should enter.  Then stay on the straight and narrow path which leads to eternal life.  If you have questions please look me up of facebook by searching, "Elder Austin Goff".  Ask any questions you may have.

I second the voice of Alma to the people of Nephi when he says,
"And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again.
  Yea, thus saith the Spirit: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand; yea, the Son of God cometh in his glory, in his might, majesty, power, and dominion. Yea, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, that the Spirit saith: Behold the glory of the King of all the earth; and also the King of heaven shall very soon shine forth among all the children of men.
  And also the Spirit saith unto me, yea, crieth unto me with a mighty voice, saying: Go forth and say unto this people—Repent, for except ye repent ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of heaven."
Christ being baptized by John

No comments:

Post a Comment