Sunday, January 30, 2011

New Experiences/Uncomfortable Situations

  Many people in this world have a hard time stepping out of their comfortable lives in to new experiences and uncomfortable situations.  I believe there is no one that can step into a new situation or experience without being a little nervous, anxious or apprehensive.  So I think it's important to understand we have all been there.  I can think of many situations where I felt scared to step out of my comfort zone to do something, but as I have done it I have felt myself grow.
  My first experience with this was my very first day of kindergarten.  I'm sure many of you can remember your first day like I do.  I remember my Mom dropping me off and standing outside of the car.  Then I remember starting my journey across the what seemed to be a mile wide grass field to get to my class.  I remember being nervous and really not knowing what to expect.  All I knew was my Mom was behind me and was not coming in with me.  So I walked to where I needed to be with my snazzy Snoopy backpack strapped to my back.  I still remember the apprehension I felt, and yet it soon became a fun thing.  I liked going to kindergarten.  I liked the things I learned and I especially liked recess when I could run and play with the kids from my class who before that time had been strangers.  Now many of those same kids I went to kindergarten with are some of my best friends.  Had I not gone to kindergarten and stayed at home playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on regular nintendo and drinking Kool Aid all day I wouldn't have made any of those friends or learned the things I had.  So in other words it was through that first uncomfortable and new experience that I was able to gain so many great friends and learn so much.
    The next experience comes from a recent conversation I had with a friend on Facebook.  She hasn't been to church in quite sometime, but she feels the desire to go back.  She has even gone to an activity with the singles ward, but is still a little apprehensive about going back to church.  I think it's because it's an uncomfortable situation and she will be surround by people she doesn't know.  I gave her an example of a cliff diver.  I have dove off of a few cliffs into water, and the first time is always so scary.  I always have the hardest time jumping the first time.  Nervousness is more the cause than anything else for me.  However, at long last when I leap with all that I have away from the cliff, and I fall through the air and go into the water, then back out.  I feel satisfaction and I go back up for another and another.  It's ll about getting enough courage to do it the first time, and after that it's a piece of cake.  After a while you will be like a friend of mine and do backflips and gainers and flippididoos off of the cliff. 
   If we gain courage and step into a new experience and uncomfortable situations I can promise that it will only do us good.  If we are follow the commandments God has given us, and ask for that courage and strength he will give it to us.  I share in closing my favorite scripture from the Book of Mormon that has helped me more than most.  Ammon is speaking about where his strength comes from and says, "I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things." (Alma 26:11-12)
   "For with God, Nothing shall be impossible." (Luke 1:37)  We can do it, and God will help us.  We have nothing to lose, but much to gain.  Take the leap of faith and God will bless you.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. nice post..hope she will find the courage she needs to continue...we miss you here in worland but know you are serving well in billings... it is negative 25 this am!! lucky us! i will be in billings thursday night, leaving friday around noon for helena...are you in town?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post..hope she finds the courage to continue...we miss you here in worland but know you are serving well in billings...i will be in billings overnight thursday..are you around? it is -25 degrees this morning..wish you were here!!!

    ReplyDelete