Thursday, January 27, 2011

Charity is the "PURE LOVE of CHRIST"

I recently was given a district meeting assignment to give a discussion on a Christlike attribute.  I was told I could pick any one of them.  I went to one of my favorite resources for teaching missionaries, missionary things; Preach my Gospel manual.  It is a great training tool for anyone about how to be a missionary, and also how to become more like Jesus Christ.  I started by reading through the Attributes section, Faith, Hope, Charity and Love, Patience, Virtue, Knowledge, Humility, Diligence and Obedience.  As I read through them my mind kept going back to Charity and Love.  So that's what I chose to do a discussion on.  I'll share a little about what I read from Preach my Gospel and about the discussion I gave as well.  In Preach my Gospel it says, "Charity is “the pure love of Christ” (Moroni 7:47). It includes God’s eternal love for all His children. We are to seek to develop that kind of love. When you are filled with charity, you obey God’s commandments and do all you can to serve others and help them receive the restored gospel."  Charity includes God's eternal love for all of his children.  That is a lot of love considering he will love us no matter what, and will love us forever.  If I were to ask you to think of the most important things to you in your life many of you would name two things, God and Family.  So my next question is,  Why do you think it is that most people would name those two things first, above any earthly possetions?  As I asked that question in district meeting there were many answers.  God and Family are eternal,  possetions are not.  God blesses us, and so do families. 
   My thoughts as I studied this topic went to those questions and the answer I came up with was we answer with God and Family because of Love.  Love is something eternal.  We love God and We love our family.  Imagine if all people felt the kind of love they feel for God and Family for everyone!  What a difference that would make.  Chariy and Love is the way to do that.  In 1 Corinthians 13 is says, " Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
BUT THE GREATEST IS CHARITY!!!  If we love we will see amazing things happen.  We will see people change and we will see them love as we have loved them.  As God and our family have loved us, even so let us love one another.  Love you all. -Elder Austin Gene Goff

http://lds.org/study/topics/charity?lang=eng  feel free to click on this link to read more about Charity.

1 comment:

  1. Charity is key to all other christlike attributes. If you truly have charity, everything else will come naturally due to the great love you have for Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and all those around you. It is not by chance that the first great commandment is to "...love the Lord thy God with all thy heart..." and the second "...love thy neighbour as thyself." (Matthew 22:37-40)

    ReplyDelete