Friday, October 8, 2010

Uncharted Territory

Hey Everyone,
  So my name is Elder Goff.  I have been on my mission for just over 17 months.  I started out in a little town in Montana called Hardin, and we also covered a huge part of the Crow Indian Reservation.  The Missionary that trained me was Elder Michael Hooser from Manti, UT.  He only had one transfer left when he trained me.  So we were only companions for 6 weeks.  I really enjoyed Elder Hooser.  I learned a lot from him, and  I'm glad he was the one to train me.  He had some tough times before his mission.  His Dad passed away 2 months before he left on his mission.  I hope he wont mind me telling people that.  He is one heck of a guy.  Now he is married and working his tail off.
   After those 6 weeks were up I got a new companion.  Elder Joseph McQueen from Riverside, CA.  Elder McQueen and I got along really well.  We were companions for 3 months (2 Transfers).  We learned a lot from each other and we were able to get some more work going in Hardin. 
   At this point I had been out for a measly 4 1/2 months.  We got transfer calls and I was told I would be leaving.  I was pretty bummed to be leaving my first area.  I had been hoping to stay at least one more transfer.  Elder McQueen had been having the feeling he would be asked to train if I got transferred.  So we waited for a call.  President Gardner did call.  I answered and talked to him about being transferred.  I told him how I hated to leave, but I guessed that God needed me elsewhere.  President Gardner then asked if I would be willing to train.  I then said, " You know this is Elder Goff you are talking to right?"  I figured he wanted Elder McQueen to train.  President told me he wanted me to train.  That there was a picture of a young man in his office that would be brand hew and he felt like I need to be with him.  So I of course said I would do it.  The missionary I trained was Elder Thayne Child from Santaquin, UT.  He and I were doubled into East Helena and Townsend, MT.  Which means that neither of us had ever been there before, so we would be starting from square one.  It was a tough couple of weeks.  I hadn't been out much longer than he had.  So there were times I felt so inadequate.  We managed to make it through.  I love Elder Child.  I haven't seen him since we got split up.  We were together for 3 months as well. 
   After that I was asked to train for the second time.  Elder Scott Newman from Buena Park, CA.  We had a ball together too.  We were together for 3 months.  I have seen him a couple of times since we got split up.  So I spent 6 months in the Helena area then I was transferred to Lander, WY.  My new companions name was Elder Jeffery Kuck From Milton, GA.  He had been out for one transfer.  I had a tough time first adjusting to Lander.  I had really gotten used to Helena and the people there and now I was having to learn all over again.  I'm not a huge fan of being transferred.  Elder Kuck and I were only together for one transfer when I was asked to train for the 3rd time.  His name, Elder Jordan Ika from St. George, UT.  He was a ball.  We were also together for 3 months.  Then I got Elder Matthew Searle from Roosevelt, UT, and I was called as a District Leader. He was a fiery red-head which I love to death.  He was always cracking me up.  After spending 6 months in Lander I was asked to go to Worland, WY to be a Zone Leader, My first companion here was Elder Kyler Hinton from Gilbert, AZ. And Now my companion is Elder Kevin House from Oakdale, CA. 
   I have loved my mission.  I have learned so much, and wouldn't have it any other way.  I have just over 6 months left on my mission.  I intend to love every second left as well.
   Elder Austin Gene Goff.

No comments:

Post a Comment